Monday, February 22, 2010

Tuna Ring With Cheese Sauce

Sunday my friend Nicole and I decided to finally make a recipe from the avocado green Betty Crocker recipe box that I bought at a library book sale in Williamstown, Mass a little over a year ago. We chose the Tuna Ring with Cheese Sauce mostly because the recipe involved cutting food with scissors. Let me repeat that: we would be cutting food with scissors. Sounded like instant fun to me.

We started by making the filling, which really wasn't all that difficult, just mixing some tuna, onion, parsley, egg, and cheese together. The most complicated part of the filing is that the recipe called for using two 7 ounce cans of tuna, which might have existed in 1956, but now apparently tuna comes in five ounce cans. Who knew?

Here's the tuna mixture:



Next came the Bisquick crust. That's right- the recipe called for straight up Bisquick, which Nicole somehow was able to manipulate into the correct form to put the tuna onto.



Then we rolled the sucker up like a jelly roll.



And now the magic- Betty wanted us to cut the thing open, exposing the tunaee goodness to world.



We popped that sucker in the oven at 375, and started on our next task. Betty wanted us to make a cheese sauce, and who are we to mess with Betty? The sauce was milk, butter, a cup of cheddar (or a half cup of blue cheese, because you often substitute one for the other) and..... More Bisquick!!! Honestly, it looked and tasted a heck of a lot like homemade cheesewiz. Really.

so the tuna ring came out of the oven, and it actually looked.... kinda nice. We decided that in order to eat this, we needed two vegetables on side to cut through whatever would be going on with the tuna ring.



The fact is, this actually tasted kinda good. Would I do this again? Not soon. Would I serve it to guests? Not if I really liked them. Was it fun? Tons. Do I still feel the tuna ring at the bottom of my stomach? You bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment