Sunday, March 14, 2010

Peanutty Cookies

More often than I would expect I am faced with this question: when invited to Sunday brunch, what should I bring?

Lucky for me that Betty's Green Box has the answer in the form of a "Family Breakfast Brightener" (it said so, right on the card). Peanut Butter Chews. There were two attractions for me. The first is that the main ingredient was four cups of Wheaties. That's right, the main ingredient in a cookie is a cereal, and not even rice krispies or cookie crisps or something. Nope. The main ingredient for this cookie would be flakes of vitamin fortified wheat. Well played General Mills, getting me to buy another one of your breakfast cereals

The second is that the recipe called for using four egg whites- and I love taking any excuse I can get to use my neon green egg separator.


This recipe was the easiest yet, and only required four ingredients, of which I had 3 on hand. Sugar (done), peanut butter (also done), eggs (yup), and Wheaties (no way no how do I eat these for breakfast, although as far as I can tell, if I did I would now be an Olympic athlete. Bygones).


All that was required for this was beating the egg whites, adding the sugar, mixing more, then folding in the Wheaties and the peanut butter. All done in about 10 minutes, maybe even less.


The hardest part was trying to get the peanut butter and the Wheaties to mix without pulverizing the Wheaties.


Then I just dropped the egg coated Wheaties mixture onto baking sheets and baked them at 375 for 14 minutes, and viola. Vitamin fortified peanut buttery cookies. Weird.


So, they cookies actually tasted pretty good. Not great, but good. They were very peanut buttery and incredibly chewy. I thought too chewy, but other people disagreed. Which reminds me- this was the first time I've subjected anyone but Nicole (who cooked all of the other recipes with me) to the end product of a Green Box creation. People were eating the cookies and gave them generally positive reviews.

So, would I make these again? Not really. For a brunch I'll stick to bringing a carton of orange juice and some champagne. For cookies I'll stick to chocolate chip or just a regular peanut butter cookie, but for a lark, these were pretty good. And vitamin infused.

1 comment:

  1. Neat. They don't sound bad, but they don't really scream "Breakfast!" either (to me, that's a pig slathering itself in maple syrup with fried egg pasties).

    However, I *am* a peanut slut, so I'd easily chomp on at least half a dozen of these.

    ReplyDelete